My favorite way to find recipes that I want to make is by scrolling through Instagram. I have an entire folder of photos that are screenshots of things I would like to make (I dare say that maybe 30% of those will actually be made. And sometimes I’ll look back and be like whatttt was I thinking?! haha).
But these Sweet Potato Nachos from Healthy Gluten Free Family were one that caught my eye. For one, the entire recipe was gluten free, which isn’t something that I necessarily seek out, but always appreciate when a recipe just happens to be that way (naturally gluten free, rather than using substitute ingredient – like a gluten free pasta – to make it so).
Gluten intolerance runs in my family, so always appreciative of a good recipe!
The hardest part about these nachos was making the sweet potato chips. I don’t have a mandolin, so I cut these by hand = they were uneven and some burned to a crisp. Also, I tried to fit three baking sheets in my oven, and while it “worked,” it threw off the air flow and one sheet cooked (and burned) faster than the other two.
Also, to oil the sweet potatoes, I’m not sure if I was just being a gluton for punishment or read the directions wrong, but I laid all the slices out on the baking sheets, and then proceeded to brush each and every one with oil individually. On both sides. It’s called a bowl. Honestly, put them in a bowl, add in oil and salt (and anything else you want), mix it up and then lay them out on the sheets. Not sure why I didn’t think of that at the time!
In the end, they’re worth it!
- I omitted the cheese so that these were dairy for me (repping that lactose intolerance!)
- I added sauteed beef to give this a bit more protein
- Vegetable / bean wise, I didn’t follow the recipe exactly, but they’re nachos and you can put whatever you want on them 🙂 My version included black beans, corn, onions, beef, red peppers, orange baby tomatoes, and avocadoes along with some spices. Whatever you’ve got will be just perfect!
This Jess rankings:
- Making it: 7/10 – very easy with a small exception for the chips
- Eating it: 9/10 – super good. I will have to find a way to make the chips a bit crispier, but this was great. Really you can’t go wrong with any ingredients that you want to put on here.
- Looking at it: 9/10 – stunnerrrrr, am I right? A little messy / organic / natural is totally my style and that’s exactly what you get here, plus the great colors of all the gresh ingredients.
You can find the full recipe linked here.